1. Stepping out of your comfort zone is so good for your soul. If you constantly stay in your bubble, then you have no room to grow.
2. You don’t always get what you want, but you do always get what you need. Some things are placed in our lives as the sole intent of teaching us a valuable lesson. In the end, everything always turns out for the better for each of us, even if it isn’t what we want.
3. Being alone is okay. In fact, it’s more than okay. Being alone helps you figure out who you are and who you want to be without any external pressures.
4. Some things are just not in our control. If it were up to me, my life would be totally different right now. I had a plan for my life and my mind was determined to stick to it. But God laughed at my plan because He had a different one in store for me. A much greater plan than mine. And this goes for you as well.
5. Cherish every interaction. You never know when you’re going to part with someone, it’s so important to appreciate the little moments with our loved ones because those moments could be the last.
6. Family is everything. Even if you can’t stand them at times, you’re still stuck with them. And they’re stuck with you. That’s the best part because you know they’ll always be there for you no matter what.
7. Forgive. You don’t have to forget, but forgive. Whoever stabbed you in the back, cheated on you, lied to you, betrayed you, forgive them. Holding a grudge is a much bigger burden than just forgiving someone and moving forward with your life, trust me.
8. Being kind costs nothing. We all struggle with something, whether we display it or not. Smile at strangers. Say please and thank you. Hold the door open. Ask how their day is going. Shed some light to the darkness.
9. Talk to God and actually listen. Don’t ask God (or whoever you believe in) for signs or answers and then ignore them when provided because it’s not what you want to hear. He’s trying to help and guide you, so let Him.
10. Friendships end. Even if they promise you’ll be friends forever and be in their wedding some day. Things like this happen and it’s apart of life. I promise it’s okay. There are so many people in the world who would love to actually be your friend forever and have you in their wedding.
11. Don’t let anyone make you feel less than what you are. You are wonderful and valuable and important. If someone makes you feel any different, walk away knowing they couldn’t be more wrong.
12. Change is inevitable. No matter where you go or what you do, change occurs. Whether it’s going from high school to college, your friends moving away, starting a new job, meeting someone new. You just have to embrace it.
13. We’re all a little lost. Here’s a secret: nobody really knows what they’re doing. We’re all in this together and I know we can make it to where we’re supposed to be. I don’t know where that is, but we’re on our way.
14. Heartbreak happens. With that being sad, healing takes time. But it will happen, and it starts with you. You are the one still holding on. Let go and move forward without them. I promise you can do it. The choice is all up to you.
15. Mental health is real. It’s important. It matters. 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in a given year. Keep that in mind when you are talking to someone; be kind and understanding. Just be there for them.
16. Do it. Ask the guy for his number. Tell the girl you think she’s pretty. Book the flight. Go skydiving. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Spoil yourself. Do it because you deserve it and it could be the best thing you’ve ever done. Or it could be a complete bust. But you wouldn’t know unless you tried it, right?
17. You are your own best friend. There is no one who is there for you more than you are for yourself- even your best friend can’t be by your side at midnight on a Thursday night when you’re upset. So be kind to yourself. Love yourself, genuinely and limitlessly. Forgive yourself. Encourage yourself like you would encourage your own best friend. Know who you are and don’t lose sight of it. Be proud of who you are. Most importantly, take care of yourself.
Hope you all had a great 2017 and learned so much this past year. It was a wild rollercoaster ride, I’ll tell you that, but I wouldn’t have had it end any other way. Cheers to a new year and a new beginning. x